Did you know that?
- Water covers about 70% of the Earth’s surface.
- Most of this water is undrinkable because 97% is salt water.
- Only 1% of water is found in rivers and streams.
- Approximately 1 billion people do not have access to safe drinking water.
- About 6,000 children die every day from diseases.
- Most of the cities where large numbers of people live without taps and toilets have plentiful water supplies.
- Freshwater fish and other aquatic animals are considerably more imperiled than those that live on land or in the oceans.
- It takes 1,000 times more water to grow food for an individual than to meet that person’s need for drinking.
- Irrigation increases yield for most crops by 100 to 400%.
- About 70% of freshwater withdrawals are used for irrigation.
- Water withdrawals for agriculture, assuming no gains in efficiency of use, are expected to increase by 45% by 2030.
- The earth’s water is finite, but it is infinitely renewable.