According to a recent map released by World Resources Institute, the top 10 Counties Losing Forest to Development in the US South. These counties “converted approximately123,000 acres of forest to development over 5 years.”
The 10 counties that are mostly located in the South, are prone to drought and putting forest at risk: Harris (Houston), Gwinnett (Atlanta), Fulton (Atlanta), Wake (Raleigh), Montgomery (Houston), Meckleburg (Charlotte), Bexar (San Antonio), Duval (Jacksonville), Jefferson (Birmingham), Cobb (Atlanta).
Forests provide so many benefits to humanity.
Just to revisit some of the benefits provided by forests, here are the 9 benefits, via CBD:
1. Forests provide food and a vast array of materials for medicinal, cultural and spiritual purposes, as well as building materials and firewood.
2. They store and purify drinking water.
3. Protect watershed.
5. Control erosion.
6. Forests provide nutrient cycling.
7. Help store carbon and to regulate climate.
9. It’s vital to national and regional economies, both directly through revenues, employment provided by the sector, and indirectly through their provision of services such as water supply to agriculture and to industry.
Anything I miss?
There’s more here..